You put on your headset, and you go back in time to a medieval castle. You look up at the sky and see a monstrous fire-breathing dragon. You reach out to draw your sword, but before you can react, you’re turned into ashes. Game over. You take off the headset and you’re back in your living room, surrounded by empty take away boxes and cans of diet coke.
This is the fully immersive experience that VR gaming promises to offer. Instead of just playing, and watching the stories unfold on a screen, now you can truly live them. VR gaming includes a new generation of games, which gives players a truly immersive first-person perspective of gaming action, and thus, allows them to manipulate their gaming environment.
The unique playability and perspective of Virtual Reality gaming is primarily achieved through the use of Head-mounted gear known as VR headsets. Oculus is one of the biggest brands when it comes to VR hardware and software. It is definitely on the frontlines of taking VR gaming to the next level.
Oculus Quest – the all in one Gaming System
Oculus Quest is a new, first-generation, standalone VR headset launched by Oculus, which has taken the market by storm. Part of its appeal is its wireless and tetherless design, meaning you don’t need to be connected to a PC or a smartphone, to use it.
It comes with a headset, and four studded wide angle tracking cameras, which allow users to move around in fairly large spaces. The Quest also has position audio built in the headset itself, so you don’t need to use headphones. It also comes with two touch controllers that translate your movements and gestures directly into the game. This allows you to interact with your virtual environment in an intuitive and precise manner. It comes fitted with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 mobile chipset and a battery life that can support up to three hours of VR gaming.
Being a standalone VR headset means it allows for wireless gaming, giving users much more freedom of movement while playing. It also eliminates the need for a high-end gaming PC to play your games, which makes it more accessible to the mainstream consumer. This, however, comes with its own drawbacks. Standalone VR headsets are less powerful than tethered VR headsets. Not being connected to a PC means that you won’t be getting optimum performance on games that require high-end graphics.
While the wireless gaming experience is great, you may want to experience virtual reality gaming on a grander scale. If you have a PC powerful enough to run Virtual Reality, you might want to consider hooking up your Oculus Quest to it. If you’re confused as to how to go about doing this, don’t worry. In this guide we will be taking you through the step by step process of how to play Steam VR games on Oculus Quest.
Setting up SteamVR on Oculus Quest
Setting up your Oculus Quest VR headset to a PC is unbelievably easy. Also, wiring up your headset to a PC will give you superior audio and video quality, improving the overall VR gaming experience. To get started you will need an Oculus Link cable. The cable is a USB type-C used to plug your Oculus Quest to your PC. It is recommended to use the original Oculus cable to get the highest quality experience. Once, you have the cable in hand, follow these simple steps to set up your VR headset.
- Install Steam on your computer. Once done, open the store tab present at the top of your screen.
- Search for SteamVR on the Steam store, once done click to install SteamVR
- Next, open the Oculus software on your computer, and sign in with your account.
- First, connect your Oculus Link cable to the appropriate USB slot on your computer. Then, connect your headset to your computer using this cable.
- The Oculus app on your PC will recognize that the Oculus Quest is connected. Once that happens, a pop-up appears on your screen, requesting you to enable Oculus Link. Here, click on continue.
- During the Oculus Link setup, you can check your cable to ensure it is compatible with your oculus quest, by clicking on the Test button at the bottom of your screen. If the cable is incompatible you will get a notification, saying the same. Using an incompatible cable can cause multiple problems during the setup. To avoid these, it is advisable to use the original Oculus cable.
- Once done, click continue. You will need to wear your headset for this step, as you will be asked to set the Guardian boundaries for your room.
- Now on the Oculus home screen, select apps on the left hand side of your screen and click on SteamVR.
- Sometimes, SteamVR will need additional information about your room setup. If you have not previously set up room boundaries on SteamVR, you will get a notification on your PC monitor. To continue with this you will have to take off your headset and enter the room boundary information on SteamVR.
- Once completed SteamVR should load up and you are now ready to put on your headset
- Once SteamVR loads up, press the menu button present on your left Oculus Touch controller. This should bring up your SteamVR dashboard.
- You are now ready to enjoy SteamVR games on your Oculus Quest. Launch your favourite game and get ready for some action.
The Oculus Quest is great because it absolutely removes the necessity for any other equipment to enjoy your VR games. It truly is an all-in-one gaming headset. An added bonus to wireless VR gaming is the freedom of movement. You don’t need to worry about yanking your devices or tripping on wires when you are engrossed in the virtual world.
However, there are limitations in the form of graphics quality. To overcome this you may want to connect your Oculus Quest to your PC. Tethering your headset to your PC will not only give you access to more games, but will also give you better graphics and audio quality. Learning how to play SteamVR games on Oculus Quest will allow you to enjoy your favorite VR games with a better quality experience. So go ahead and give it a try, and have fun gaming!